Thursday, February 7, 2013

A life full of sugar


Gambians have a very strong sweet tooth. One only has to watch them make tea to see the truth of this statement. Whether it is Fatajo (my office mate) and his three spoonfuls of sugar in every cup of tea (and he is constantly drinking tea), or the family in my compound making and drinking their many small glasses of green tea, the sugar is not lacking. So, for a girl who is used to artificial sweeteners, my life is now overflowing with real sugar! Cups of sugared tea and wanjo will be the death of me! Whether this is good for my own sweet tooth or not is going to be the question!

When talking with the director of the Epidemiology Control Unit, or any health professional in this country, one of the first health problems they mention is the increasing rates of diabetes in the Gambia. I am no longer surprised by this, but now wonder how difficult it would be to change the behavior of an entire country and their love of sugared tea. It is not only the drinking of the tea that they enjoy; it is the interaction with friends and family. It is the tradition of making and sharing the tea and conversation which the community revolves around. So if you remove the tea, will the social fabric of the country have to change? While watching my neighbors make tea yesterday evening (see the picture of Amadou to the left), we talked about the process of making the tea. When I commented that the glasses were very small and wouldn't you want more, Alfu told me that is the point. You take your time making each tiny pot of tea and it means that people will visit longer and you will have a better chat with your friends. During my first lecture for my class on risky health behaviors, we talked about behavior change and the various stages of change. I asked the students if there were any behaviors they were attempting to change and two students spoke up. One mentioned drinking too much green tea and the other staying up to late with friends. Both were aware of the health outcomes of drinking too much tea or not getting enough sleep, but faced strong social barriers to change. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this country of sweet-tooth’s and whether the health risks associated with too much sugar will be recognized or a society centered around a tradition of drinking sweet tea wins out in the end.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great example for behavioral health ... no one wants to take away a tradition, even if it does have unhealthy aspects...and going to artificial sweeteners doesn't seem like the right answer...Maybe encouraging people to go down to 2 teaspoonfuls, instead of 1? HOWEVER, I know that I will want THREE teaspoons when I visit -- not so much b/c I have a sweet tooth, but because I DO really like sweet tea! Also, I wonder what the economic impact of reducing sugar would be? I sugar grown in Africa? I feel like I should know the answer to that, but I don't. It's a huge part of economic and social culture in the Caribbean; what role does it play economically in the Gambia?

    ReplyDelete